For up-to-date information about the Coronavirus in the Amarillo area, please visit


Timeline of Events


  • May 8th, 2018 at 11:41 PM – An emergency 9-1-1 call was placed to request an ambulance for a male citizen that was bleeding. [Attachment 1] The injured citizen was transported to a hospital. Injuries sustained were significant and required surgery. [Attachment 2 – photographs are graphic in nature] 
  • May 9th, 2018 at 12:17 AM – An Animal Management & Welfare (AMW) officer arrived at the hospital to interview the injured citizen for the bite report after being told the attacking dog was a stray. Upon further dialogue, the citizen admitted that the attacking dog was his male dog. According to the report, the fight was instigated when the owner’s female dog started attacking a six month old puppy at which point the male dog joined in the fight.  The owner tried to intervene and was attacked by the male dog which resulted in injuries to the owner.
  • May 9th, 2018 at 10:58 AM - AMW arrived at the owner’s residence to meet with the owner’s wife who surrendered the male dog to AMW for aggressive behavior toward humans and animals, and the dog was humanely euthanized upon arrival to the shelter.
  • May 9th, 2018 at 10:11 PM – Another emergency call was made from the same residence to report that a dog had attacked two people and another dog. [Attachment 3]
  • May 9th, 2018 at 10:44 PM – AMW arrived at the residence and found the female dog was the attacker. The occupants refused to go back inside the residence while the dog was inside, and the owner surrendered the dog to AMW.
  • May 9th, 2018 at 11:14 PM – AMW returned to the shelter to impound the surrendered female dog which was subsequently placed in kennel G7. AMW procedure is to “red-tag” a kennel which houses a dangerous animal. This procedure was not followed, and disciplinary action was taken upon discovery.
  • May 10th, 2018 at approximately 11:30 AM – AMW was notified by a shelter volunteer that the female dog in G7 was in labor. At this time, staff became aware of the dangerous animal status and determined to humanely euthanize the female dog and two puppies. The female dog was euthanized via intravenous injection and the puppies were subsequently euthanized via intraperitoneal injection, in accordance with accepted veterinary medicine practices of the American Veterinary Medical Association.